Tried & True Holiday Recipes from the Nest
(that’s right the gift that keeps on giving)
Prep time: 10 mins, Cook time: 10 mins: Total time: 20 mins Makes: 24
- 2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use Better Batter)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if using Better Batter)
- 2/3 cup (80 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
Bake Note on the outside of the Jar
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, place flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and sugar, and whisk to combine well. Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the dry ingredients and set the bowl aside.
- Add the butter, vanilla and eggs to the dry ingredients, mixing after each ingredient until the dough comes together. Add the chips and reserved dry ingredients, and mix until the chips are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons on nonstick rimmed baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes until firm.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake until just set, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet until almost entirely cool and solid. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet to cool completely.
To make the Jars
To make cookies-in-a-jar, into a 1 liter (or 1 quart) mason jar, layer in first the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt, then the cocoa powder, followed by the sugar and, finally, the chips. After each layer, tap the jar on the counter to help the ingredients settle into an even, compact layer. On a hang tag, write out the instructions for the recipient to make the cookies.
Holiday Vegan Chocolate (dairy-free, gluten-free)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Option: add 1 tbsp shredded coconut OR peanut butter for added variety
Whisk all ingredients together well. Pour into chocolate molds (silicone works well) or in a muffin tin and freeze for 20 minutes. These little fat bombs are great snacks and also popular at get togethers!
Christmas Morning Granola
- 3 cups certified gluten-free oats (or regular)
- ½ cup cranberries (sulphite-free)
- ½ cup raisans (sulphite-free)
- 1 cup crushed almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon (Ceylon for the real deal)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup shredded or chunk unsweetened coconut (sulphite-free)
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ coconut oil
Melt coconut oil and add all wet ingredients together then combine with dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture onto cookie tray(s) and place in over on 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Shake trays half way through to prevent burning. Enjoy on own, with your favourite milk or in yogurt! Makes a great holiday gift in mason jars.
- 1 cup of diary-free milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil
Heat milk in pot on stove. Add all ingredients to a blender, mix and enjoy! This is a great alternative to the sugar filled hot chocolate you’ll find pre-mixed and also has no caffeine.